Friday 12 August 2022

12 August 2022

 I watched and listened to farmers in the UK showing the affect of theBlack of rain on their produce. They are telling us the yields c outdated be down as much as 50% this year. I can sympathise with them. My bean crop has failed this year and the potatoes are down by a large proportion. It is not my livelihood I have to contend with but the feeling of having provided some fresh fruit and vegetables. It is all blamed on climate change. What none of the commentators points out is the drastic affect of the increase in population. The leaders must find a way to get the message across that the population of 5he world must be stabilised and then reduced.

I see everybody is complaining about delays in getting an ambulance and in a & e. They blame it on covid. Well four and a half years ago when I had my heart attack we waited over three hours for an ambulance, spent two hours outside a&e and three hours before I saw a doctor. What I am saying is it is not a new problem. What I can say is all the staff looked after me wonderfully.

I see British tennis players Dan Evens and Jack Draper have reached the last eight of the Canada Open tennis. It is a shame their matches have been put on in the vending in Canada which means after midnight in the UK. Most tennis followers will miss these matches. The organisers could have thought of putting them on earlier so British tennis fans could watch them.

Hearing people describe their favourite beaches on the radio made me think of a poem I composed some time ago.

The Call

By

Eddie Gubbins


The sea is calling, always calling 

Even when the sailor has long left voyaging behind. 

The sea calls, ever calls,

Over the noise of this sometimes dreadful life. 

To sail away , to leave this life behind,

But to where? 

That is what adds to the thrill. 

Let the voyage be long or short, 

Let the oceans be calm or fierce, 

In the urge to sail away, 

Lies man's eternal quest 

For something new. 

Why oh why does man always strive after the new 

When accepting the present would save a lot of heart ache. 

It has long been a mystery to me but, 

More than in any other profession, 

The sea  offers a greater chance to satisfy this need. 

The sailor never arrives 

Because each new port is a stepping stone to the next 

And on to the next 

Until the nomadic lifestyle grows too much. 

It maybe that the sailor observes other people 

Settling into a pattern of life which brings rewards 

Such things as family and home, 

Anchored to other views of living 

Rather than constantly on the move. 

So the sailor leaves the sea 

And puts down roots.

Or does he? 

The sound of a seagull screaming , 

The wind moaning around the roof of his house  

The sound of waves lapping on the shore 

Will awaken in the hidden recesses of his mind 

The longing to feel the excitement once more 

As the ship goes silent, 

Ready to leave for the sea. 


Goodnight


No comments:

Post a Comment