Tuesday 28 November 2023

My Christmas poem

 Bernard


We plodded all the way from Nazereth

With all the other crowds along the road

The lady sat on my back among the bundles

The man walking with his staff holding the rope

All I wanted was to arrive and get some rest

And at last we arrived at their destination.


The town was crowded but he found an inn

Came back to say there were no rooms

The only resting place was the stable with me

The lady agreed weary from riding and ready

To lie down and rest even with the animals.

I did not mind as long as it was warm.


It was peaceful in the stable where I rested

The lady started groaning and  women came

Soon there was the cry of a new born baby

The man took away my feeding trough

Filled it with straw and laid the baby on top

There was a golden glow over the manger.


All went quiet again and I settled down until

Outside there was the sound of rough voices

Men came into the stable, shepherds by looks

They knelt down by the baby and handed a lamb

It was strange but they talked of bright lights

And angels singing and telling them to come.


For days it was mainly quiet with a few people 

Come to visit the baby who appeared important

There was the sound of camels outside the door

Three men in travel stained clothes entered 

Carrying wooden boxes carved and jeweled

Bowing they gave these to the woman and baby.


Today I stand waiting loaded with bags and food

We are leaving so the man said to the woman

He had been told to leave and not come back

I did not see anybody speak to him o the woman

But I am only Bernard the donkey , all I do

Is carry them where .ever they want to go

No comments:

Post a Comment